Friday, November 03, 2017

Arcade Fire

The beginning of the song "Creature Comfort" off the new Arcade Fire record reminds me of Grimes and that's a good thing.  Arcade Fire always seems to always put out a record at the right time.  And they also seem to always find a new way at looking at our mundane existence.   I guess I've always had a soft spot for the band since they're Canadian and I lived in Canada as a kid for 10 years but they're from Montreal and I lived in Toronto but still...Full disclosure, I was born in New York City.  But Canadians always seem to have a refreshing view of life.  Such as Neil Young.  And Broken Social Scene. And Joni Mitchell.  And Drake.  And this new Arcade Fire record seems to have come along just at the right time.  "Signs Of Life" feels like danceable Talking Heads and the beginning of the song "Creature Comfort" reminds me of Grimes and that's a good thing.  I'm not going to go track by track and over-describe it.  I'm not going to waste your time.  I'm a fan of the band and I'm a musician and I'm not a critic.  I'm not here to tell you what they mean in their lyrics.  I"m just going to tell you that I like the beat and I like to tell Alexa to turn "Play the new Arcade Fire album...".....It's not the complicated.....Somehow we made music complicated....And it's worse for it....Lets get back to the basics.....And I'm not talking about instrumentation.....Can we just stop overanalyzing this life....Can we just stop and enjoy the things we love?  Like art?  And music? And film?  And love?  And summer days in the late fall....And the laughter of the children....And how some adults just don't know how to grow up....And that's a good thing....Because.....Growing up is overrated....Not true actually...Those shirts that say "adulating".....annoy me.....Because you don't have to point that out....The greys and the wrinkles and the wisdom in your eyes gives you away....And that's a good thing....Embrace it....Stop dying your hair.....Be who you are....Because that's who the world will appreciate most of all......



#arcadefire #canada #newmusic

No comments: