Wednesday, February 15, 2012

fb tagging

Why do people tag themselves in photos in which they do not appear? The word "tagging" had such a cooler sound to it in referencing graffiti art back in the day. And what are we looking for in reconnecting with people we haven't seen in years? This is on my mind because I found myself recently under the questioning of my father (not on fb) who wanted to know about a long lost cousin of his that he found out had a daughter who I was friends with on Facebook.  She had recently posted a comment to my status update: "Should we move to Portland, LA or the moon? :) " Which she replied "Put a bird on it. Portland!" So at least she's aware of my favorite show on television right now... But I'm not sure if it constitutes a "relationship" and I basically told my dad to leave me out of his attempt to reconnect with that part of our family.  I have the ones I love in my life, my friends, my music, my desire to change the world and I don't have time or interest in reconnecting with everyone in my life or those who've never been in it.  Why are we always looking for the missing elements in our lives? I asked my dad why this was so important to him, he said he wanted more information. He likes information. He's a professor.

 I know I suffer from all this but I wish as a whole we could put more focus on the people around us everyday and not to put too much emphasis on our 1307 friends on Facebook that we really don't know and don't spend time with.  I use Facebook primarily as a social media platform to promoting what it is I do: music, blogging and to help raise awareness for the causes that I believe in and also to help increase my Klout score ;) I'm interested in spreading my art and music to folks that care and I get to engage with other artists who are trying to do something out of the box. I guess this post is more about tagging but when you think about it, the game of tag is like the game of life.  We always want to be chasing someone or have someone chasing us.  To all my Facebook friends, keep chasing that dream of reaching the 5000 friends limit but just make sure you know all of them personally or Big Brother will tell you only to connect with folks you already know.   That's like telling someone to go to a party and only talk to the people you know....Oh, how I miss the 90's..East Village...Where is there a place in this country where you can go and make friends with strangers? Where is the dream is alive?  In Portland? :) Brooklyndia? :)

DZ


No comments: