Monday, October 16, 2017

grant lee buffalo

I'm getting my mind in a creative space where I'm able to write this pilot.....and I'm also simultaneously writing the soundtrack and I've been listening to a lot of nineties music... a lot of what comes out  today feels so overproduced that I've been looking for bands/songs/artists with strip down instrumentation and real songs....  There's something mysteriously wonderful about Grant Lee Buffalo.  Simple arrangements and his beautiful voice wrapped around songs that could have been written 50 years ago. Mockingbirds is one of my favorites.


I love the vibe of this song and the chorus reminds me of the late Marc Bolan. Who didn't Bolan influence. RIP.  Rolan Bolan, his son, is a friend of mine from my LA days.



But these artists represent something that's missing today's music world.  Artists with something to say who are willing to take chances.  And make mistakes.  And play their own instruments.  And live the life of an artist.
Everybody's all branded up today.  You'd think that artists work for the companies they are promoting which they do.....and what happened to integrity?? no one says no to anything these days...money is the bottom line...money rules this country...and we are lost because of it...but for us to break away from this obsession of money, we have to stop caring about people that have it....stop listening to them and stop paying attention...because who really cares about your new car and your house in the hamptons...well maybe somebody does but I don't...and I hope you don't too...I hope you jump on the bandwagon that breaks from the money...next time someone tells you about the 2nd house their renovating...Just say...I'm happy for you...but...I'm not really into houses and money and stairs and kitchens and grills and cars and curtains and rugs and.....And now I'm reminded of the talking heads song "big country" that I used to listen to when I first moved to New York.  It reminded me of the place I left and the things many Americans place so much value on like possessions and houses and kitchens etc....






No comments: