Monday, November 26, 2012

stop looking down

It bothers me to no end to watch a kid play by himself at the park while his father sits on a bench on an iPhone for hours. I get it dude, you're a big deal.   Bigger than Ron Burgundy.   I get it, you don't want to be here. You had a job and now it's gone and this is the price you've had to pay. Not bad if you ask me.  Technology has given us an excuse to ignore our kids.  This annoys me.  There should be a sign in front of every park in America.  "Unless your looking down to watch your kid, stop looking down at your phone." It's like when I'm waiting for a coffee and someone else is waiting and to avoid the uncomfortableness of silence, they get on their phone. It's like everybody wants to disengage. And we feel like we cannot just be in a moment.  In a room.  In a conversation.  About nothing.  I see it with the kids.  I see how our phones have replaced human conversation.  I miss having conversations with people.  Random people.  My wife would say I just like to hear myself talk. But it's good to talk.  And to laugh.  And to not always be looking down.  Because looking down is bad for your posture.  So look up.  Look up at the beauty around you.   Look up at your kids.  Look up at your wife.  Look up at the mountains and the buildings and the trees and the ocean. Now, don't you feel better?

DZ