Tuesday, May 08, 2012

vespa is the new "man toy"

As if introducing me to goat's milk wasn't enough, my Australian friend let me take a spin on his Vespa the other night.  He was right.  The city looks totally different when your driving a Vespa. It allows you to explore the city streets.  From a new perspective. And something about the open road and the wind blowing in your face makes you feel like a man. 

And at the same time you feel cool because your on a Vespa.  
It also reminded me of when I was traveling through the Greek Islands and I was in Santorini and we rented Vespas and drove up the mountain every night to watch the sunset.  This memory alone makes me want to buy a Vespa.  I know we need a new car that would be more practical for the family. Probably a Hybrid or a Subaru. But something about the Vespa represents freedom. And I'm not even a guy who needs his "Man Toys".  
DZ
  

19 comments:

John Polson said...

Your Australian friend sure seems to know what he's talking about.

Unknown said...

what else you got? dz

Mike said...

Vespas are here in Thailand, and there is some coolness about re-doing them so they run. However, there are some really cool motorbikes like the Yamaha Nouvo 135cc that get a lot more attention. Do you have those bikes in the USA?

Unknown said...

nice, I believe we do have those bikes in america, are they easy to drive? dz

Ric Patterson said...

Vespas? Numero Uno. Us Aussies know a lot of stuff, Just ask.

Unknown said...

what else do you aussies know? Or shall I say, suggest? dz

Bob the Builder. said...

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than ride a Vespa or a Hardly Dangerous....

Unknown said...

really bob, needles? dz

Unknown said...

Vespa? If you want to look cool you need a Yamaha Dragstar or at least a proper motorcycle not a scooter. A Harley, Triumph, Suzuki or Kawasaki would be ok but not a Vespa, it's a girl toy!

Anonymous said...

Vespa? Man toy? thats a girl toy-get a Harley and Man up.

Unknown said...

I can dig that anonymous. dz

Anonymous said...

If a Vespa were any more girlie, it would be a moped. Riding fat chicks can be fun, but you don't want to brag about it.

Anonymous said...

I also am an American living in Thailand, and own a Yamaha Novou 135cc. It is much more powerful than the girlie Vespa's, With about 25 million motorscooters here in Thailand, and 100,000 of them being Vespa's, I can assure you that the testing and homework has been done. They are cute, period. What guy wants "cute"?

Unknown said...

ok folks, time for my two cents worth. after owning big bikes for years i moved to spain and found myself buying a old 200cc vespa to get around on. it was weird at first and the truth is it never stopped being nothing more than a skate board with a motor but man was it practical. It is a European thing that nobody can understand. funny thing about that old black vespa. I took more girls for a ride on that vespa that any other motorcyle. Great memories!!

Mario said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Harley Davidson : Turning gasoline into loud obnoxious noise without the dangerous side effects of horsepower since 1903.

Unknown said...

Vespa is an Icon...period.

FormulaOneWorld said...

If its not a 1960s Vespa or Lambretta, its not a Vespa..........

FormulaOneWorld said...
This comment has been removed by the author.