Tuesday, March 06, 2012

o canada, on wisconsin

My formative years were spent in Wisconsin but I also lived in Toronto as a kid for 10 years.  I lived for the Toronto Blue Jays and I had a really tight group of friends who I've recently reconnected with on Facebook.  My life was all planned out for me there.  Graduate from St. Andrews, go to Mcgill University then move back to Toronto and marry my high school sweetheart and live down the street from my folks. That wouldn't have been so bad.  I had such a huge grade 6 crush on this girl that I'm sure she would have been the one.  I wonder if she married her high school sweetheart and lives down the street from her folks.



But in 7th grade my father got a job teaching in Wisconsin and we left that world behind.  For Wisconsin.  This is where I discovered music and Midwest girls and partying and angst.  Everyone already knew each other and I said "Motley Crue" funny so they made fun of me.  But I adapted by throwing parties in my basement to make friends.  And I've reconnected with them on Facebook as well.  And I didn't marry my high school sweetheart (never had one) and I didn't end up moving down the street from my folks.  I think this is why I'm inching to move right now.  But although I know we need more space and everyone is telling us to move, I don't want to end up settling in some suburban life that I've been trying to get away from my whole life.  Because sometimes the comfort makes life too easy. So what do you think folks: Brooklyn, Portland, LA, Wisconsin or Canada? :)

DZ

No comments: