Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Blogging From The Road: New Orleans, December 30th, 2009

























(Members of The Dirty Dozen jamming in the Quarter, 12.31.09)
I am in a new city
a different city
a city like no other in this country
a city called new orleans
a city that holds on to tradition
and music and spirit and saints
hopefuls and drinks and gambling
and everything that Bukowski represents....
The oysters at Acme, bloody mary from The Charter House,
breakfast at The Coffee Pot where the conversation doesn't stray too
far away from the Saints and how your family is doing since Katrina....2005 is not that
long ago...
I've been spending a lot of time down here since my wife grew up in New Orleans,
specifically, The West Bank (As she refers to it, "The Best Bank")
cheer leading indie rock, skater who'd rather hang with boys and Kim Deal than where pink
and join sororities....it makes sense that we ended up together....because although I always thought  I wanted to marry the preppy, snobby, rich girl, I ended up with someone much deeper, with much more appreciation for life, someone who wasn't handed anything free in life.....wow, is this revealing, I don't have a pic since I'm on my wife's aunt mary's computer and it's a dell from the earlier part of this decade...tonight it's sun ray grill and tomorrow we'll meet folks in the quarter and end up at DBA, a personally favorite of mine here in new orleans and in the east village...I know the owner...hey BRD folks, here's a pic for y'all of some of the members of The Dirty Dozen Band jamming on the street near Jackson Square in New Orleans.....New Year's Eve Day, I'm sure these guys will be jamming on into the future, finally, it's here!
DZ

No comments: